With a new year comes new goals and intentions for many of us. There is something so hopeful, bright, and exciting about turning the page in your new planner or flipping that wall calendar to a new year and welcoming a fresh start!
It may feel overwhelming to think about all the updates and changes that you want to make in your life and home, but don’t let it overwhelm you. Upgrading your doesn’t have to be a time consuming or difficult ordeal; start small with tiny steps. Set aside twnety minutes this afternoon to skim this article for inspiration and take notes on how you want freshen up the place where you spend a third of your life — the bedroom. You’ll be surprised at the impact of low-effort upgrades!
Trend 01: Comfort above EVERYTHING
Do you know what’s always in style? Comfort.
Give your current sleeping situation some thought. Does it feel like a space you can relax and unwind — do you love what you see when you walk in? From the rugs to light fixtures, evaluate your room and identify the small things you can do to transform your space. It’s important to invest in your environment and swapping out a rug or an accent pillow could be the change you needed. Comfortability may look different depending on your climate, age, lifestyle and geographical region so it’s important to take some time to reflect what your unique simple pleasures are.
When it comes to comfort, you can’t see is just as important as what you can! If you’re feeling stuck already, here are our favorite DOWN inc. Trade Secrets that will effortlessly transform your space with that extra layer of coziness and will relax your auditory, and olfactory (smell) sensations:
- Upgrade your bedding
- The number one investment you can make to help you sleep more soundly at night is to update your down bedding. The Endure Down Blanket is the ideal layering essential, that we recommend you start with. Trade Partners, log in and click here to shop our Endure Down Blanket.
- If you need an entire suite of bedding we’ve also got you covered. Visit the Lookbook to find the perfect pillow or lofty luxury weight King duvet. By investing in some upgraded bedroom you will experience increased rest, relaxation that naturally elicits a calm to make sure you rest easy.
Make it personal
- All of our needs are so different, and comfort is about finding ease and freedom in your space. Consider ways to support your habits and sleeptime preferences— if that means a wireless charger and an apple watch charger next to a a real alarm clock AND a natural sun alarm clock, so be it! Give yourself permission to invest in your bedroom to make you space reflect you better.
- Appeal to your senses for full relaxation
It’s important to appeal to your visual and physical sense of comfort but don’t forget your other senses!
- Scents can range from wall plugs to oil diffusers and natural soy candle — kid or pet proof your home with battery operated candles. You know the kind and they look as realistic as ever!
- Humidifiers can help you sleep softer making sure you’re hydrated into the wee morning hours. If you’re a light sleeper, you may be shocked how that white noise helps!
Comfort helps you get better sleep
It’s no secret that when you feel relaxed, comfortable and safe, your nervous system will relax and your body will naturally decompress and for that reason our Upside of Down™ sleeping pillow is bestseller. The tri-compartmented chamber features a core of white duck feathers cushioned by all down fill on both sides. This construction provides great support for your neck with the softness only down can provide to rest your head onto.
You can rest easy knowing there are a few constants that make your bedroom (and sleep) feel best! Visit our post on how to sleep better!
Trend 02: Don’t sleep on Sustainability
There are TONS of ways to practice sustainability. From thrifting and antiquing to buying secondhand online it feels so easy to do this in our daily lives — Grand Rapids, MI where DOWN inc. is headquartered is — we can even find some phenomenal designer vintage furniture. secondhand furniture can add such incredible character to your space, inspiring new magic.
Better Homes & Gardens offers some great advice on sourcing sustainably. “To ensure your purchase is truly sustainable, check the tag or product description for certifications such as the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Oeko-Tex Standard 100, and Fair Trade Certified label.” You can also do your part in shopping ethically from certified companies, like DOWN inc. — Visit this page for our animal welfare & down traceability statement.
Log in and click here to shop out Tencel Lyocell Matress pad as well as our Organic DTE collection of duvet inserts and sleeping pillows (which are manufactured with certifies organic cotton and enzyme washed)!
Trend 03: When in doubt, go BOLD
When your bedroom starts feeling a bit blah, try shaking up your softly-lit snoozy blue hued basic room with something… unexpected.
It can be so fun to play with bold — and don’t let that word fool you. While it could mean covering your haven floor to ceiling in PANTONE 17-3938, Very Peri (Pantone’s color of the year), Bold doesn’t have to be big. Ease into it by pairing your boring beiges or dull grays with a vibrant new duvet cover (or dye your current one for a test run) in a color that makes you happy. This article really helped us when it came to colors. If you’re still racking your brain for bodacious bold ideas consider wall paint, curtains, maybe anew headboard, fresh wall decor, or a furniture facelift! There is no wrong way to zhuzh up your space!
Another small investment for a massive refresh is ordering a wall-sized tapestry or two. You’ll be surprised how much the soft texture adds to your space with low commitment. Keep it simple, but make sure it’s something that lights you up — you’ll know when you see it!
Even if this is the only change you make, you’ll see some results If you’re not sure what to highlight or what to focus on, we recommend searching Pinterest for “Bold Bedroom ideas” followed by your favorite color or texture — or keep scrolling as we’ve taken the initiative to create a collage of bold. Let the images guide you. Soon you’ll see some patterns in style/color/texture. Let those images be your muse and let us know in the comments what speaks to you when it comes to a bold bedroom.
Ready to go bold bold?
If you haven’t already painted a statement wall inspired by your vibrant new duvet cover and are ready to take the next step to pump up the drama consider a statement piece. An ornate armoire or a floor to ceiling headboard you are giving the room a focal point, which will make the rest of the decorating much easier. You can go for neutrals that compliment the focal point, meaning you don’t actually have to give up your favorite beige sheets. 😉
Trend 04: Wallpaper is in!
With self-applied wallpaper gaining popularity over the last several years, there are a LOT of options. From a monochromatic textured pattern, to a giant mural, we’ve collected some of our favorite inspiration photos below:
Trend 05: Quality over Quantity
Be intentional with the things you choose to furnish your bedroom with. As we’ve uncovered the value of sustainability and boldness. By living in an uncluttered space with quality elements that you truly LOVE, you’ll feel much more at home. Decluttering is a great place to start!
Trade Secrets to Decluttering
It may be a great time to Marie Kondo your bedroom if you haven’t already. The KonMari method is a Japanese decluttering method to invite goodness in and get rid of what doesn’t spark joy. There’s a published book and Netflix special if you want to a deeper dive on this technieque, but here are are a few quick steps to get started:
- Start by showering the space in gratitude and intention. Sit in your room silently and take not of how you feel. As you give your room this quiet attention it’s likely you’ll start to see new arrangements, colors, ideas and sparks of inspiration!
- Next, consider the wall decor and figurines scattered around your space. Evaluate if you really love them enough to keep or if they belong in the donate pile. A simple rule of thumb to remember, less is more.
- Overwhelmed by the idea of a great bedroom purge? Start with your wardrobe — empty every crease and corner of your closet and dresser and put all your apparel items on the bed. Then? Keep everything that sparks joy and nothing more. This momentum is contagious once you get going.
- Repeat this process with all areas of your bedroom until it is full of only things that elicit happiness,
Trend 06: Get personal
The final touches have the biggest impact — we know you’ve seen Extreme Home Makeover with Ty Pennington or Fixer Upper with America’s sweethearts, Jo and Chip. The final scramble where everyone is frenzied trying to place pillows, furnishing and final touches on the family home. Chances are, you’ll experience this same rush of excitement after you’ve implemented some of these tips when you realize the best accessory is a framed picture of your pet poodles on the nightstand.
Sure, warm lighting and decorative throw pillows will work literal magic on your space, but the finishing touch should be a pop of personality. Don’t get intimidated, this is often the best part. Have a favorite hat? Showcase it by hanging on your gallery wall.
There are SO many ways to personalize your space, have fun with it! A blank wall can be a beautiful display for a vintage piece of artwork that has been passed down in the family or a gallery of chic black and white photos of your favorite memories. Another great way to create your literal ~ dream space ~ is to add elements of your culture or heritage or enlarge your favorite photo and have it printed on metal, tapestry or canvas. Remember this space is YOURS to relax and unwind in. Take the stress out and just fill the room with whatever you enjoy.
We hope you’ve enjoyed playing with the ideas in this article. We’d love to hear if anything in particular resonated. From comfy to bold, stick-on facelifts and intentionally purchasing quality items, we’ve covered a lot of ways to make your space reflect you!
- Elle Decor
Leave a Reply